BREW TIME: 5 1⁄2 minutes
The Moccamaster KBT takes the work out of making a full liter of fresh coffee. Our recipe adds a couple of steps, borrowed from pour-over techniques, to improve the overall taste profile. You’ll boost the quality of your extraction and brew a phenomenal pot.
What you’ll need
|1x Technivorm Moccamaster KBT||1x digital gram scale||1200g room-temperature filtered water (200g for rinsing)|
|1x No. 4 paper filter||1x stirring utensil|
|1x timer||60g coffee (ground like coarse kosher salt, 16 setting on Virtuoso+)|
- Assemble your Technivorm Moccamaster. Place the carafe under the brew basket. Set the brew basket’s valve to fully open.
- Fold the ridged seams of the paper filter and place the filter in the brew basket.
- Add 200g of water to the water reservoir and start the brewer. The brewer will dispense boiling water, rinsing the paper filter and preheating both brewer and carafe. Once the reservoir is empty, turn the brewer off and dump the rinse water from the carafe.
- Add 1 liter of water to the reservoir.
- Add 60g of ground coffee into the paper filter in the brew basket.
- Turn the brewer on.
- Start your timer when you see the shower head dispense the first drops of water into the brew basket.
- After 15 seconds, use the utensil to stir the entire coffee brew bed for five seconds.
- When the timer reads 4’15, use your hands to gently swirl the brewer in one full circle. This keeps the brew bed flat during the final stages of extraction.
- Once all the coffee has been dispensed, turn the brewer off. Total brew time should be about 51⁄2 minutes. Remove the dripper and discard the paper filter and coffee grounds. *Pro tip: If the brew time is too short or too long, adjust your grinder. A finer grind will encourage longer brew times; a coarser grind will speed things up. Interested in learning more? Head over to Coffee 101.
- Pour into cups and enjoy!